Tuesday 10 July 2012

Scottish Championships 2012 - Day 4 - Some arbiters make mistakes, get over it...

Mythbusters is a wonderful program.  I have watched practically episode they have made.  Superb program.

Time to do some mythbusting of my own.  There is a common misconception that arbiters don't make mistakes.  I can tell you from my own experience that this is not true in the slightest, we are just good at hiding it.

Donald and I were doing the draw this evening.  It is taking us about 20-25 minutes purely because of the size.  The draw is completed and I am over at the computer station shutting everything down when I hear the dulcet tones of Alex booming across the hall that we have a problem with the draw.  One of the pairing cards of the 116 there had not been updated with the correct score which means 80% of the draw was incorrect.

20-25 minutes later and the draw was done and we left the building sheepishly at 7:45...

For today's pictures I want to introduce to you, the cast of the Minor section.  With such a huge championship this year, the other events have been overshadowed, which is a shame as they are very closely fought











There can be only one....

There is nothing quite as entertaining as a time scramble and we had a cracker tonight.  As always I'll remove the names.  We had an incredible finish as two players sat with just under 90 seconds each.  One had a simple win and missed it.  The game ended a draw by repetition.  The reaction to being told of the missed win was hilarious and I take my hat off to the person!!!

Black has just played Qxh3??  White replies Qf6+ ????
 It is times like this I love being an arbiter! 

4 days gone, 5 to go.  WE ARE ALMOST HALF WAY THERE!

Lets see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

  1. I heard the player with the white pieces was exceptionally good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drat, thought I had worked out who was playing but the previous comment rules out most of the field. Right Andy, which section was this in?

    ReplyDelete