Saturday 14 July 2012

Scottish Championships 2012 - Day 7 - The Longest Day

Apologies for the blog only getting published today, it was a bit manic yesterday.

Today is the longest day.  We start here at 11am setting up and with a little bit of fortune we get out at 11pm :D  Factoring in travel etc and it is easily 14 hours.  Forgive me for my ramblings today

The tournament has gone really well and I am hoping that our mystery benefactor is also as impressed with the event as we are.  The field has been no trouble at all which has made Donalds, Alex's and my job really simple

The first of the events are over and we have our first winners!

 Starting with the U1750 / Seniors

The winners were ....


William Clinton & George Murphy

Despite my best efforts I could not get a picture of the winner of the U1750 Boys trophy, here he is in a group shot
Back right, Carl Milton, Boys U1750 winner
 In the U1500, no-one seemed to want to win as the leaders either drew or lost!  The overall winner was...


David Potts

And finally we have the U1500 Girls Trophy winner, making it a family double for the second year running...

Anna Milton
 Well done everyone.

The main tournament is hotting up with GM Nonchil Bikolov and IM Bragi Thorfinnsson both leading on 6/7.  Top Scot is FM Donald Holmes who is having a superb tournament and is on track for an IM norm!  Donald is sitting on 5.5 / 6 and has been playing some fabulous chess.

The weekenders have started and if the results tonight are anything to go by, I pity everyone tomorrow.  Watch out for Kai, Liam, Craig and Kirsty, they have no fear of adults nor grade as the four of them showed tonight.  You have been warned!






I will finish todays blog with a funny.  On the way home from the event tonight, I was stopped by the police just after I had got off the bus.  The reason for it, I was drinking out of a 500ml bottle of Barrs Cherryade.

The police officer demanded to know what I was drinking and was embarrassed when I showed him the bottle.  Wasn't too impressed when I suggested he went and found some real crimes to solve...  Fair to say he left with his tail between his legs!

Its a funny old world!

1 comment: